We promise to treat your pet like one of our own and do everything in our ability to ensure a safe and successful outcome. All of us at Tsolum care about you and your pet!
One Week prior to surgery
We ask you to book a time to come in so that we can take a blood sample for pre-surgical analysis. This helps save time on the day and reduces stress for your pet when they are dropped off with us on the day of surgery.
Two Days Prior to surgery
One or two days before the surgery date, we will send you a surgery admittance form via our Otto Flow system, so that you can review our surgery policies and the options available during surgery, such as a complimentary microchip implant and toe nail trim. Completing this form prior to coming in assists us to save you time and make the drop off as efficient as possible. It also ensures you have time to think about any specific requests you may have, which might get forgotten on the day and allows us time to answer any questions you may have. Pets often need to go home with a cone or medical pet shirt to prevent them from bothering their incision site – let us know which you would prefer and we can have it fitted for you prior to them leaving the hospital.
Pre surgical Fasting
The night before your pet’s procedure, unless you have been given specific instructions directly from the veterinarian, your dog or cat should have no food after 9:00 pm the evening before the surgery. He or she may have a SMALL amount of water first thing (7:00am) in the morning before coming to the hospital for surgery.
The Morning of Surgery:
- In the case of dogs, please ensure he or she has had the opportunity to relieve him/herself in the morning prior to surgery.
- We ask ALL cats arrive in the safety of a clearly labelled carrier. We will be happy to loan you a carrier if needed. Please call our office to request one a day or two before your cat’s procedure.
- We usually set up a specific drop off time for you, but otherwise please have your pet in our office anytime between 8:30 and 9:00 in the morning.
- When your pet is finished his or her procedure, we will give you a call with an update as well as an expected discharge time.
- In rare cases when a patient is extremely anxious, we may recommend you stay and sit with your pet in a while we administer their pre medication.
Additional services to consider while your pet is with us for the day.
During your pet’s stay with us, we are happy to offer the following services:
- Complimentary Microchip
- Flea Control – Please note that, should we notice your pet has fleas while under our care in the hospital, we will notify you and apply a flea treatment at your cost for the comfort of your pet as well as prevent contamination to other hospitalized patients.
- Complimentary Nail Trim!
Going home: We send pets home on the same day of their dentistry or surgical procedure. Often our pets are more comfortable recovering in the familiarity and comfort of their home and, as such, our goal is to return them to you as quickly as possible. At the time of your pet’s discharge our technician or veterinarian will go through home care instructions for your pet and answer any questions you may have. We also encourage you also to review our post-surgical page should you have further questions or concerns.
One last note – TLC! We know that surgery can invoke anxiety for you and your pet. We promise to treat your pet like one of our own and do everything in our ability to ensure a safe and successful outcome. All of us at Tsolum care about you and your pet!
In the event you need to change or cancel your appointment please let us know as soon as possible to allow us to open a surgical space for one of our other patients. If you do not get the office you can leave a message on our voicemail. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you and your pet!